We know that you look forward to your holiday the whole year long, so it stands to reason that you would want to get as much as possible out of your stay at Umhlanga Drive.
We have put our heads together to come up with the 5 things that you absolutely have to try while in Durban, aside from lounging around in our infinity pool, sipping on a glass of our delicious Wildekrans wine and enjoying the most exquisite meal in the area at our onsite restaurant.
However, when you do go out for a night on the town, we recommend that you try:
- Roma Revolving Restaurant
Experience fine dining at its best, while enjoying a view that is undeniably one of the best views of Durban you will ever see, situated on the 32nd floor of John Ross House. Roma Revolving Restaurant has been in business since 1973 and is one of the only revolving restaurants in the Southern Hemisphere.
Alternatively, enjoy a drink at Gino’s al fresco styled bar. This unique bar creates the mood for any occasion with its breath-taking panoramic views of the city of Durban .This sky bar is situated on the roof top of John Ross House and caters for a diverse multitude of patrons.
- Sibaya Casino & Entertainment Kingdom
This is the perfect place for a family outing. The Casino hosts a multitude of events each year, ranging from theatre productions to music concerts and stand-up comedy. Enjoy a night out with fun for the whole family just around the corner from Umhlanga Drive. Entertainment options include a Mangwanani Spa, Magic Company, plenty of restaurants to choose from and a casino to keep the adults occupied while the kids play.
- Enjoy a day tour of Durban with Southern Circle Hop on a bus and enjoy a tour of one of Durban’s many historical sights, including a view of the Blue Lagoon, The Valley of a Thousand Hills and insight into the life of Shaka Zulu.
Alternatively, you can jump on a Ricksha Bus for a scenic overview of a range of Durban’s major attractions.
- Visit the Umhlanga Lighthouse. The red and white 21-metre tall lighthouse is a landmark in Umhlanga Rocks. It was installed in November, 1954 and it stands guard to some of the most treacherous waters of Southern Africa. Not only does it warn ships of the hidden dangers, but the flashing light is also a welcome to the ships sailing into the safety of the Durban harbour.
- If you are travelling with your children, Fun World is a must. The Beach Front Fun World Amusement Park is the perfect place to take your children over the holidays. It is a mere 13 km from Umhlanga Drive Boutique Hotel and offers fun for the whole family. Let your children enjoy a breath-taking view of the Durban beach-front from the air in a cable car. Meanwhile the bigger kids can enjoy the Breakdance and experience the thrill of the Swingboat. The little ones can experience the Elephant Ride or Carousel. There is plenty of fun to go around at this amusement park, especially because it is in such a safe and secure environment.
We hope that you will enjoy all that Durban has to offer and take in as much as you can of our precious city! If you discover any gems that you feel are a must, do share your experience with us!